Current:Home > ScamsBoeing finds new problems with Starliner space capsule and delays first crewed launch -GrowthInsight
Boeing finds new problems with Starliner space capsule and delays first crewed launch
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:07:10
Boeing has indefinitely delayed next month's launch of its Starliner capsule — which would have carried the first humans — after engineers found several worrying problems.
These included the use of "hundreds of feet" of adhesive tape that's flammable and defects with the spacecraft's parachute system. Boeing made the announcement late Thursday at a hastily-called news conference with NASA officials.
It's the latest setback for Boeing which has been plagued by years of development delays and has yet to fly its first crewed Starliner mission.
After the space shuttle was retired in 2011, NASA needed a way to ferry people to and from the International Space Station. In 2014, NASA awarded Boeing more than $4 billion under its Commercial Crew program to build the capsule. At the same time, NASA also selected SpaceX to build and design a competing system which has already sent humans into space ten times (including seven missions for NASA).
Starliner has flown twice. The first mission, in 2019, failed to reach the I.S.S. after its on-board clock malfunctioned. The second test flight, in 2022, did dock with the I.S.S. and was deemed a success. Boeing had been working towards a July 21 launch to send two NASA astronauts to the I.S.S. This mission has been delayed several times and this latest setback is concerning.
Just weeks before the launch attempt, Boeing managers determined that adhesive tape used to wrap and protect hundreds of yards of wiring inside the capsule could be flammable under certain circumstances.
In addition, the lines connecting the capsule to its trio of parachutes were not as strong as Boeing believed. During landing, it's possible that some of the lines could have snapped - potentially endangering the crew. Starliner is designed to land with just two parachutes. But if one parachute failed - the others could have too.
For all of these reasons, Boeing vice president and Starliner program manager Mark Nappi told reporters the company was standing down, "Safety is always our top priority and that drives this decision." A future test flight date is unknown.
Nappi says they'll take the next several weeks to investigate the design issues and come up with potential solutions. For now, Boeing says it's fully committed to the program and has no plans to stop developing Starliner despite being years behind schedule.
veryGood! (18752)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Wife wanted in husband's murder still missing after 4 days, Oregon police say
- Musk wants Tesla investors to vote on switching the carmaker’s corporate registration to Texas
- You’ll Love Jessica Biel’s Birthday Tribute to Justin Timberlake—This We Promise You
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Pro Bowl Games 2024: Flag football and skills schedule, how to watch, AFC and NFC rosters
- Deadly school bus crash in Ohio yields new safety features and training — but no seat belt mandate
- Reports: F1 great Lewis Hamilton linked with shock move from Mercedes to Ferrari in 2025
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Ole Miss player DeSanto Rollins' lawsuit against football coach Lane Kiffin dismissed
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- 75-year-old man dies after sheriff’s deputy shocks him with Taser in rural Minnesota
- Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in 'Rust' shooting case
- Man who faked disability to get $600,000 in veterans benefits pleads guilty
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Fani Willis and top prosecutor Nathan Wade subpoenaed to testify at hearing about relationship allegations
- Reports: F1 great Lewis Hamilton linked with shock move from Mercedes to Ferrari in 2025
- A beheading video was on YouTube for hours, raising questions about why it wasn’t taken down sooner
Recommendation
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Musk wants Tesla investors to vote on switching the carmaker’s corporate registration to Texas
Musk wants Tesla investors to vote on switching the carmaker’s corporate registration to Texas
Selma Blair shares health update, says she's in pain 'all the time' amid MS remission
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Could Louisiana soon resume death row executions?
More Americans apply for unemployment benefits but layoffs still historically low
Amelia Earhart's plane may have been found. Why are we obsessed with unsolved mysteries?